You can claim a deduction when you are:
- Driving between separate workplaces (eg a second job)
- Driving to and from an alternate workplace for the same
- Employer (eg attending a meeting at a different location)
In limited circumstances you can claim the cost of trips between home and work, where you were required to carry bulky tools or equipment for work and all of the following conditions were met:
- The tools or equipment were essential for you to perform your employment duties and you didn’t carry them merely as a matter of choice.
- The tools or equipment were bulky – meaning that because of their size and weight they were awkward to transport and could only be transported conveniently by the use of a motor vehicle.
- There was no secure storage for the items at the workplace.
You need to keep a record of your work-related car expenses using a logbook or be able to demonstrate a reasonable calculation using the cents per kilometre method.