Public Servants

If you're a public servant it pays to know what tax deductions you can claim at tax time. This information will help you to work out what:

  • income and allowances to report
  • you can and can't claim as a work-related deduction
  • records you need to keep.

Book an appointment at your nearest ITP tax agent.

public servant

Deductions you can claim

Check Mark

You can claim a deduction when you:

  • are travelling between separate workplaces (eg a second job or travelling to and from an alternate workplace for the same employer to attend a meeting at a different office).
  • You need to keep a record of your work-related car expenses using the logbook or cents per kilometre methods.

X Mark

You generally can’t claim the cost of normal trips between home and work, even if you are on-call or have to work outside normal business hours. This includes parking fees and tolls.

If you salary sacrifice your car this means your employer is covering the costs and you cannot claim a deduction.

To claim a deduction
for work-related expenses

You can only claim the work-related part of expenses. You can't claim a deduction for any part of the expense that relates to personal use.

You must have a record to prove it.

You must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed

It must be directly related to earning your income

Get the most out of your tax refund with ITP.

tax expert

I want a tax expert to maximise my refund

Either in-person, over the phone or through email with maximum refund guarantee.

tax online

I want to do my tax online

Finish your tax return now, in minutes.