If you're a teacher, it pays to know what tax deductions you can claim at tax time. This information will help you to work out what:

  • income and allowances to report
  • you can and can't claim as a work-related deduction
  • records you need to keep.

Book an appointment at your nearest ITP tax agent.


Deductions you can claim

Check Mark

You can claim a deduction when you are:

  • Driving between separate workplaces (eg a second job)
  • Driving to and from an alternate workplace while you’re still on duty (eg transporting students to a sporting venue)
  • Transporting bulky equipment provided you meet the following criteria:
    › Your employer required you to transport the equipment to work
    › It was essential to earning your income
    › There was no secure area to store the equipment at work
    › It was bulky (around 20kg) and cumbersome to transport.

You need to keep a record of your work-related car expenses using a logbook or be able to demonstrate a reasonable calculation using the cents per kilometre method.

X Mark

You can’t claim the cost of normal trips between home and work, even if you live a long way from your usual workplace, or if you are on call (e.g. relief teaching) or have to work outside normal business hours (eg parent-teacher interviews). This includes parking fees and tolls when you drive to and from work.

To claim a deduction
for work-related expenses

You can only claim the work-related part of expenses. You can't claim a deduction for any part of the expense that relates to personal use.

You must have a record to prove it.

You must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed

It must be directly related to earning your income

Get the most out of your tax refund with ITP.

tax expert

I want a tax expert to maximise my refund

Either in-person, over the phone or through email with maximum refund guarantee.

tax online

I want to do my tax online

Finish your tax return now, in minutes.