Travel Agent

If you're a travel agent, it pays to know what tax deductions you can claim at tax time. This information will help you to work out what:

  • income and allowances to report
  • you can and can't claim as a work-related deduction
  • records you need to keep.

Book an appointment at your nearest ITP tax agent.

Travel agent

Deductions you can claim

Check Mark

You can claim a deduction for travel expenses if you travel away from your home overnight to attend conferences, seminars, training courses or industry promotion events relating to your job.

You can claim a deduction for expenses (such as meals, flights, taxis and accommodation) if the travel directly relates to your job and:

  • your employer provides educational or familiarisation travel to learn about new products or tour destinations, or
  • where you use educational leave to undertake such travel.

X Mark

You generally can’t claim a deduction for:

  • personal holidays, even if they are discounted by your employer
  • travel expenses if your employer or another person has paid for these or reimbursed you
  • travel insurance – as these policies cover private items
    such as illness, loss of baggage and theft
  • passport application and renewal fees
  • travel expenses related to taking a family member or friend with you on work travel.

To claim a deduction
for work-related expenses

You can only claim the work-related part of expenses. You can't claim a deduction for any part of the expense that relates to personal use.

You must have a record to prove it.

You must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed

It must be directly related to earning your income

Get the most out of your tax refund with ITP.

tax expert

I want a tax expert to maximise my refund

Either in-person, over the phone or through email with maximum refund guarantee.

tax online

I want to do my tax online

Finish your tax return now, in minutes.